Is there a possibility of life on Proxima Centauri b?

Moderator: Franck

Kozima

Is there a possibility of life on Proxima Centauri b?

Post by Kozima »

Proxima Centauri, the closest star to Earth, is classified as a red dwarf because of its low mass. Because of its small mass, it is classified as a red dwarf, and because of its low luminosity, it is very faint and invisible to the human eye, even though it is the closest star to Earth. However, even this small star has planets.

Proxima Centauri b
Proxima Centauri b is the closest exoplanet to our solar system.
Its mass is close to that of the Earth (about 1.17 times the mass of the Earth), and it is located within the habitable zone of Proxima Centauri. Therefore, the existence of life forms is conceivable, but I personally think it is unlikely.
Where is the evidence? I have a basis for this. There is evidence.
First of all, red dwarfs are classified as active stars that are likely to have huge flares and huge sunspots. The intensity of the X-rays in a flare that hits a planet will be very high, which could uproot the planet's atmosphere and degrade its properties. This would mean that Proxima Centauri b would be exposed to intense UV and X-rays from Proxima Centauri, which would make the properties of the atmosphere harmful to life, or strip it of its water, and maybe, just maybe, there would be no life forms.

But there are plans to explore there. The Blue Star Shot Project. I will write more about this another time. However, Proxima Centauri b is still essential for observing terrestrial planets around red dwarfs. Observations will continue in the future.